Friday, May 2, 2014

Five for Friday: What makes our gardens grow?

I know we are all in crunch time with the little amount of time left in the school year. If I have to guess, I think most of us are probably assessing to make sure all of our little ones have learned what they have needed to before we leave. I finally finished my assessment pack that I wanted to share with all of you. It covers all of the Common Core in Reading, Writing, and Math. Plus, I made two versions. You will find manipulatives to use in discovering skills or I made an activity sheet that the student can complete independently to show mastery. Check it out in my TpT shop!
We read my absolute favorite book this week in studying plants and gardens..."Tops & Bottoms". I was introduced to this book during the year I student taught and I immediately fell in love with it! We then made some farmers and wrote about our favorite foods that grow in the garden. You will see my friend wrote "I like carrots with dip."
I have been hearing a lot about this 'GoNoodle' and I finally caught a second to check it out. My kids love it! We have always done brain breaks in the classroom but now we have a mascot and can earn points for doing so. Yippeee!!!
We read "Cecil's Garden" and talked about the veggies he grew in the story in making his stew. The kids had to write their own recipe card after we did some brainstorming first.  This was a great tool in reviewing sequential order as well as introducing new vocabulary such as recipe, ingredients, etc. 
We had to write out our very own math story problems and I was just tickled with how they came out. This is the best time of year as you can see so much growth!!
 I had 3 red blocks. I found 10 more. How many did I have? 3+10=13
 I had 7 friends and 4 came along. How many do I have? 7 + 4= 11
I had 7 apples and I ate 3. How many were left? 7-3=4

We also wrote a journal entry about things that we have liked in Kindergarten this year. I had to post this one.....can you tell we use our "I Can" statements? =)



It's going to be a busy weekend on the homefront.....CapCity Half Marathon has finally arrived. I hope to have a good run on Saturday. Have a great weekend!







No comments:

Post a Comment