Friday, April 17, 2015

Five for Friday Linky Party: April 17th


We began our week with States of Matter. I taught the kids a jazzy little tune to help remember them more accurately. We generated our ideas on the anchor chart before I passed out magazines for them to peruse. They were instructed to cut out pictures that could fit each state. They did a great job! Sheila Melton had a cute little FREEBIE in her shop that let the kids take the designated objects and separate them accordingly to their state. It was a great assessment tool!



This is a funny story..... last year when our school supplies came in, I had noticed that the supplier incorrectly sent a TON of alphabet beads. I called to notify them and they said to just keep them. I use these little things for everything and they do help with our fine motor skills. I typically have them spell our high frequency words on pipe cleaners but this week I decided to have them spell the long CVCe words to match the picture strips I made.  It worked out great!


 

Can I tell you how much I love Kindergarten...but especially after Christmas! Things really start to click and make sense while skills become more refined. I love writing exercises on Mondays because I always have the kids write about their weekend. I want their skills to develop but I completely enjoy learning more about their life outside of school.




In going along with spring and plants, I read two different versions of "Jack and the Beanstalk". The first was the original while the second was called "Kate and the Beanstalk". After finishing them, we made an anchor chart with story comparisons. One story was on the left and the other on the right.  I passed out papers to the kids and thought it would be fun to make our own beanstalks, with our names, add our own profile, etc. Although it was good in theory, the little project turned into a morning activity that finished up after recess! We took the commonalities and put them on our own beanstalks while drawing the home and giant. All I can say is that it was a learning experience but I was really happy with how well they came out!





You know the saying ... "April showers brings May flowers"? That's definitely the case here. I feel like it does nothing but rain. Ugh! Soccer games and practices have been non-existent and I still need to get my driveway poured. We were told that it needs to be five straight days of no rain! We will be lucky to get one by June at the rate we have been going. I just decide to stare at our pictures from Florida to help me feel warm and happy inside again. How was this only two weeks ago? I miss it! LOL! Here is hoping you are enjoying sunshine wherever you may be. Have a great weekend!!!

“I know it is wet and the sun is not sunny, but we can have lots of good fun that is funny.” ~ Dr. Seuss

 

1 comment:

  1. I love the sorting activity for states of matter, and those beanstalks are ADORABLE! Your students are lucky to have such a caring, creative teacher!
    Have a great weekend!
    One Lucky Teacher

    ReplyDelete