Friday, January 15, 2016

Five for Friday: Executive Functioning, arctic animals, & a FREEBIE!

Woohoo! So excited for the long weekend!!!

We read "Snow Dance" and made our own pics of catching snowflakes on our tongues. We discussed perspective and how you see things at different angles and distances. I was impressed with how well they did. I only had a couple that added eyes but they actually looked like nostrils. LOL! We then turned it into a math activity as well adding the number of snowflakes in the air plus the ones on our tongue. They created their own addition problems based on their pictures.

We couldn't finish the week without studying MLK, Jr. I made an interactive book for the kids to do that highlighted his life events.  They really enjoyed them =)




One of my birthday gifts I received was a year subscription to iFit. On my new treadmill, there is a screen and it has Google maps. The iFit app allows me to choose routes that they have designed all over the world. During these cold winter month in Ohio, I love being able to see the palm trees of Honolulu. I have also ran in Mexico, Amsterdam, and Hilton Head this week.  So cool!


We have been reading an "Arctic Animals" poem all week so I started creating some text evidence packs that are differentiated to learn about some of the animals. Here is a FREEBIE to teach your kiddos about the walrus.  There are three different levels with a labeling activity as well.




I have been participating in a couple of book studies over the past few months. This book, "Causes and Cures in the Classroom" was through my building principal. I just gave a presentation to our staff this week and thought I would share some of the highlights. It really focused on executive functioning and could apply to so many of the kids in my room. It is a quick and easy read with lots of explanations and suggestions.




I couldn't forget to add this picture. I don't know about your classrooms but ours was in serious need of some cleaning. I told the kids that we were still covering our standards of sorting and classification.  It felt good to get rid of some stuff. Nothing wrong with some spring cleaning in the middle of winter. LOL!

                                                         Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment